Landlords in Leamington fined £25k due to inadequate fire safety for tenants

The joint landlords of a house of multiple occupation in Leamington have been prosecuted and told to pay a total of £25,000 in fines and £2,472.08 in costs. The courts heard that the landlords were putting the tenants lives at risk by not managing fire safety adequately. Many of the doors were not fire doors and there was no working fire detection.

The building also failed to have a current gas safety certificate. The Council issues a statement saying that they will not hesitate to prosecute where tenants health is at risk and landlords blatantly disregard the law.

Are you a landlord? Are you concerned that your buildings may not be complying with health, safety and fire regulations? Don’t worry, we can help you to improve your compliance with the law.

If you would like to discuss your duties as a landlord please contact us.